- ProductsProductsPI is a worldwide leading supplier of solutions in the fields of motion and positioning. PI does not only develop and produce a broad range of positioning stages and actuators for linear, rotary and vertical motion or combinations of different axes. PI also adapts those solutions to customer-specific applications or supplies finished subsystems for motion and positioning.
- New ProductsNew Products
- Product FinderProduct FinderSelect the product type specified by the axes of motion required. Selection of more criteria expands or shortens the list of results. Select more than one filter at a time, for example, to find positioning stages designed for higher load capacity, too.
- Customized ProductsCustomized ProductsPI is fully at home where unconventional solutions are in demand. This is no longer limited to fields of research. Today, nanotechnology is also present in standardized industrial processes.
- Nanopositioning Piezo Flexure StagesNanopositioning Piezo Flexure StagesPI's piezo flexure stages combine sub-nanometer resolution and guiding precision with minimum crosstalk.
- Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure StagesMulti-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages
- PIFOC® Objective & PInano® Sample Scanners for MicroscopyPIFOC® Objective & PInano® Sample Scanners for Microscopy
- Linear Piezo Flexure StagesLinear Piezo Flexure Stages
- XY Piezo Flexure StagesXY Piezo Flexure Stages
- XYZ Piezo Flexure ScannersXYZ Piezo Flexure Scanners3-Axis Nanopositioning Scanners of Maximum Precision
- Piezo Flexure Tilting MirrorsPiezo Flexure Tilting Mirrors
- Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages
- Miniature StagesMiniature StagesMiniaturized stages and manipulators are essential in mobile applications for measuring and medical devices, in industrial microassembly or use for research, e.g. in UHV and non-magnetic environments.
- Miniature Linear StagesMiniature Linear Stages
- Miniature Rotation StagesMiniature Rotation Stages
- Miniature HexapodsMiniature Hexapods
- Miniature Linear Stages
- Linear StagesLinear StagesPI offers a wide range of motorized linear stages to supply high-precision industrial markets like semiconductor and photonics, as well as high-end research. Vacuum versions are available for a large number of different models. Multi-axis compositions can be set up with adapter brackets or specialized vertical stages and compatible rotation stages.
- Stages with PIMag® Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear MotorStages with PIMag® Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor
- Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) MotorsStages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors
- Vertical Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) MotorsVertical Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors
- Miniature Linear StagesMiniature Linear Stages
- Stages with PIMag® Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor
- Linear ActuatorsLinear ActuatorsChoose from the widest range of technologies the optimum for your special demands: Set-and-forget applications benefit from the specific features of piezomotors that provide excellent long-term stability, also for vacuum or nonmagnetic environments. Stepper and DC motor solutions are well-established and reliable for both industrial and research use.
- PiezoMike for Long-Term StabilityPiezoMike for Long-Term Stability
- Linear Actuators with Stepper & DC Servo MotorsLinear Actuators with Stepper & DC Servo Motors
- PIMag® VC Voice Coil Actuators with High Dynamics & Force Control OptionPIMag® VC Voice Coil Actuators with High Dynamics & Force Control Option
- PiezoMove Lever ActuatorsPiezoMove Lever Actuators
- Nanopositioning Piezo ActuatorsNanopositioning Piezo Actuators
- PiezoWalk® Actuators with High Force & StabilityPiezoWalk® Actuators with High Force & Stability
- PIRest Active Piezo ShimsPIRest Active Piezo Shims
- PiezoMike for Long-Term Stability
- Rotation StagesRotation StagesPI offers stages with all kinds of motorization and guiding options: air-bearing, torque motor driven, motorized worm-gear coupled, tiny piezomotor stages and specialized goniometer stages with orthogonal tip-tilt mounting option.
- XY StagesXY StagesStability, precision and dynamics are crucial in the application fields of PI’s XY stages. They are the basis of high throughput rates and reliable operation. PI makes use of own developments in the fields of PIMag® magnetic linear motors and PIglide air bearings. Industrial production and quality control benefit from PI’s high-load XY stages and planar scanners.
- HexapodsHexapodsHexapods provide 6 degrees of freedom in the most compact package. In combination with absolute measuring sensors, software and motion controllers that make the most complicated motion profiles easy to command, PI hexapods answer industrial requirements.
- Engineered Subsystems for AutomationEngineered Subsystems for AutomationPrecision components, stable control and a great deal of experience in engineering are essential for high-precision complex motion and positioning solutions. PI is a supplier of technologically sophisticated drive components and high-precision positioners and also offers all levels of integration for engineered subsystems.
- Fast Multi-Channel Photonics AlignmentFast Multi-Channel Photonics Alignment SystemsPiezo scanners take care of fast, continuous scanning tasks, where durability, dynamics, and precision matter. The larger travel ranges are realized with XYZ combinations or 6-axis hexapods. Integrated routines make it possible to perform single-axis alignments up to complex, multi-axis fiber array positioning within the shortest possible time.
- Motion Control SoftwareMotion Control SoftwareAll digital controllers made by PI are accompanied by an extensive software package.
- User Programs and Their FunctionsUser Programs and Their Functions
- Software Tools for HexapodsSoftware Tools for Hexapods
- Third Party SupportThird Party Support
- Software Products for Special ApplicationsSoftware Products for Special Applications
- Controllers & DriversControllers & DriversThe decision for a motion controller depends on the specific application situation. Various criteria, such as limited installation space, the number of axes or the type of control, determine which controller is the right one. PI offers a broad spectrum of controls and regulation concepts.
- Nanopositioning Piezo ControllersNanopositioning Piezo Controllers
- Piezo Drivers for Open-Loop Operation of Piezo ActuatorsPiezo Drivers for Open-Loop Operation of Piezo Actuators
- Motion Controllers & Drivers for Linear, Torque, Stepper & DC Servo MotorsMotion Controllers & Drivers for Linear, Torque, Stepper & DC Servo Motors
- Controllers & Drivers for PiezomotorsControllers & Drivers for Piezomotors
- Controller Systems for Multiple Axes & Mixed Drive TypesController Systems for Multiple Axes & Mixed Drive Types
- Hexapod Motion ControllersHexapod Motion Controllers
- ACS Motion ControlACS Motion Control for Industrial Automation
- Nanopositioning Piezo Controllers
- Piezoelectric Transducers & ActuatorsPiezoelectric Transducers & ActuatorsPiezoelectric ultrasonic transducers are available in a wide range of shapes like disks, plates or tubes, and different performance levels. They can be adapted to application requirements by using different piezoceramic materials, electrodes, and assembling technology.
- Discs, Rods and CylindersPiezoceramic Discs, Rods & Cylinders
- Plates and BlocksPiezoceramic Plates & Blocks
- RingsPiezoceramic Rings
- TubesPiezoceramic Tubes
- Spheres and HemispheresPiezoceramic Spheres & Hemispheres
- Bending ElementsPiezoceramic Bending Elements
- Tube ActuatorsPiezo Tube Actuators
- PICMA® Piezo Linear ActuatorsPICMA® Piezo Linear Actuators
- PICMA® Piezo Bender ActuatorsPICMA® Piezo Bender Actuators
- PICA Piezoelectric Stack ActuatorsPICA Piezoelectric Stack Actuators
- PICA Shear ActuatorsPICA Shear Actuators
- DuraAct Patch TransducersDuraAct Patch Transducers
- Picoactuator® Piezoelectric CrystalPicoactuator® Piezoelectric Crystal
- Discs, Rods and Cylinders
- Air Bearings & StagesAir Bearings & StagesAir bearing stages are used where vibration-free motion is required, velocity needs to be highly constant, and optimum angular repeatability is requested.
- Sensors, Components & AccessoriesSensors, Components & Accessories
- VacuumProduct Series with Vacuum-Ready ItemsPI offers specific catalogue items for selected product series that are already suitable for high vacuum (HV) or ultra-high vacuum (UHV).
- New Products
- OEMOEMCustomer- and application-specific product developments form the basis for success at PI. To this purpose, requirements have to be understood and a technological solution has to be found.
- ApplicationsApplications & MarketsPI positioning systems are employed where technology is pushed forward in industry and research. This is done, for example, in semiconductor manufacturing, in medical engineering, in biotechnology, in plant engineering, in surface metrology, or in astronomy.
- Hexapods Support Industrial RobotsHexapods Support Industrial Robots
- Scientific InstrumentationScientific Instrumentation
- Hexapod Systems for ALMAHexapod Systems for ALMA
- Double-Crystal MonochromatorDouble-Crystal Monochromator for an X-Ray Spectrometer
- Materials Research in High VacuumMaterials Research in High Vacuum
- Active Vibration Isolation with Piezo ActuatorsActive Vibration Isolation with Piezo Actuators
- Drive Technology for the ELTDrive Technology for the ELT
- Hexapod Systems for ALMA
- Semiconductor TechnologySemiconductor Technology
- Confocal MicroscopyAdjustment of the Focal Planes in Confocal Microscopy
- Positioning Solutions for Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM)Positioning Solutions for Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM)
- High-Speed MicroscopyHigh-Speed Microscopy for Quality Control
- Atomic Force MicroscopyAFM Scanner for Atomic Force Microscopy
- White Light Interferometry3-D Surface Inspection With Piezo-Based Positioning Systems from PI
- Flamingo Lightsheet Fluorescence MicroscopyFlamingo Lightsheet Fluorescence Microscopy
- Confocal Microscopy
- Silicon PhotonicsSilicon Photonics
- Photonics PackagingAutomated Photonics Packaging
- Optical Fiber AlignmentSimultaneous Testing of Optical Components in Silicon Photonics
- Photonics Packaging
- Medical TechnologyMedical Technology
- EndoscopyVariable Focusing and Sharp Focus for Endoscopic Applications
- OphthalmologyHigh-Precision Drives in Ophthalmic Surgery
- Magnetic Resonance ImagingNonsensitive Drives for Magnetic Resonance Tomography
- Optical Coherence TomographyPiezo Technology and Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- PipettingPiezomotors for Pipetting and Nanodispensing
- Precision DosingDynamic Drives for Precision Dosing with Nanodispensers
- MicropumpsPiezoelectric Micropumps – Compact Design and High Performance
- Image StabilizationImage Stabilization and Microscanning with Piezo Scanners
- Adaptive Diaphragm PositioningAdaptive Diaphragm Positioning
- Positioning Solutions for Whole Genome SequencingPositioning Solutions for Whole Genome Sequencing
- Materials ResearchMaterials Research
- Parallel Kinematics for Materials ResearchHigh-Load Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research
- Laser Beam ControlPiezo Drives for Laser Beam Control
- Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research
- Mechanical EngineeringMechanical Engineering
- Electrical Discharge MachiningPiezo Actuators Accelerate Electrical Discharge Machining
- Hexapods in Mechanical EngineeringHexapods in Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Discharge Machining
- Smarter Motion PositioningSmarter Motion Positioning
- Hexapods in MicroproductionHexapods in Microproduction
- Hexapods for Quality AssuranceHexapods for Quality Assurance
- Magnetic Direct DrivesMagnetic Direct Drives
- Motion Simulation with HexapodsMotion Simulation with Hexapods
- Flexibility in Dimensional MeasuringHexapod Systems in Automation
- Motion Compensation with HexapodsMotion Compensation with HexapodsDynamic hexapods with piezo drives: Best conditions for motion compensation.
- Fast Piezo Ultrasonic Drives Advance TechnologyFast Piezo Ultrasonic Drives Advance Technology
- Laser Material ProcessingLaser Material Processing
- Hexapods for Optical MetrologyHexapods Support Precise Measurement of Aspheres
- Smarter Motion Positioning
- Beamline InstrumentationBeamline Instrumentation
- Tomography EquipmentTomography Equipment
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy in VacuumSynchrotron Spectroscopy in Vacuum
- Beam PreparationBeam Preparation
- Sample Positioning for TomographySample Positioning for Tomography
- Accelerator TechnologyAccelerator Technology
- Tomography Equipment
- Additive ManufacturingAdditive Manufacturing
- Active AlignmentActive Alignment
- TechnologyKnow-How & TechnologyPI combines its long-term experience in micro and nanopositioning technology with in-depth knowledge in the fields of mechanics, electronics, sensor engineering, and software. Thus, PI is able to offer its customers the most advanced drive technologies and system solutions.
- Piezo TechnologyPiezo TechnologyPI Ceramic offers a wealth of experience in the manufacturing of piezoceramic materials, components, and actuators. The piezoceramic materials can be adapted individually to perfectly fit the later use of the piezo components.
- Fundamentals of Piezo TechnologyFundamentals of Piezo TechnologyPhysical basics and explanations of piezo electricity and electromechanics.
- Properties of Piezo ActuatorsProperties of Piezo Actuators
- Piezoceramic MaterialsPiezoceramic MaterialsPI Ceramic offers a variety of different piezoelectric materials including lead-free materials.
- Manufacturing TechnologyManufacturing Technology
- PICMA® TechnologyPICMA® Technology
- Integrated Piezo ActuatorsIntegrated Piezo Actuators
- DuraAct Patch Transducer TechnologyDuraAct Patch Transducer Technology
- PIRest ActuatorsPIRest ActuatorsActive shims with long-term stability and nanometer resolution.
- Fundamentals of Piezo Technology
- Piezoelectric DrivesPiezoelectric DrivesDepending on the configuration and control, piezoceramic actuators can be used to create translational motions or as motors with a virtually unlimited travel range. The choice of drive depends on the requirements of the application.
- Piezo ActuatorsPiezo Actuators with and without Guiding
- PiezoWalk® Walking DrivesPiezoWalk® Walking Drives
- PILine® Ultrasonic PiezomotorsPILine® Ultrasonic Piezomotors
- Piezo Inertia DrivesPiezo Inertia Drives
- PiezoMike Linear ActuatorsPiezoMike Linear Actuators
- Comparison: Piezo Motors & Drive TechnologiesComparison: Piezo Motors & Drive Technologies
- Piezo Actuators
- Electromagnetic DrivesElectromagnetic DrivesRotating electric motors such as DC or stepper motors are used in connection with screw or worm drives. Stepper motor systems with high-resolution encoders can perform minimum incremental motions of 10 nm with high reliability and repeatability.
- Rotating Electric MotorsRotating Electric Motors from PI
- PIMag® Magnetic Direct DrivesPIMag® Magnetic Direct Drives
- PIMag® 6-D Magnetic LevitationPIMag® 6-D Magnetic Levitation at Six Levels of Freedom
- Hybrid ConceptPiezo & Motor Hybrid Concept
- Rotating Electric Motors
- Parallel KinematicsParallel KinematicsIn a parallel-kinematic, multi-axis system, all actuators act directly on a single moving platform. This means that all axes can be designed with identical dynamic properties, thus reducing the moved mass considerably. Hexapods are used for moving and precision positioning, aligning and displacing loads in all six degrees of freedom, i.e., three linear and three rotational axes.
- Parallel KinematicsPiezo Positioning Systems with Parallel KinematicsIn a parallel-kinematic, multi-axis system, all actuators act directly on a single moving platform.
- Multi-Axis PositionersMulti-Axis Positioners and Stewart Platforms
- Hexapod as Motion SimulatorHexapod as Motion SimulatorMotion simulators have higher motion dynamics requirements (shakers).
- Parallel Kinematics
- Sensor TechnologiesSensor TechnologiesThe linearity and repeatability achieved are not possible without highest-resolution measuring devices. Accuracies in the range of a few nanometers and below require a position measurement method that can also detect motion in this range.
- Capacitive SensorsCapacitance Nanosensors
- Incremental SensorsLinear Scale Encoders for Nanometrology & Nanopositioning
- PIOne Optical Nanometrology EncoderPIOne Optical Nanometrology Encoder
- Comparison: Position Sensor TechnologiesComparison: Nanopositioning Sensor Technologies
- Capacitive Sensors
- Controllers & SoftwareControllers & SoftwareFast settling or extremely smooth low speed motion, high positional stability, high resolution and high dynamics – the requirements placed on piezo systems vary greatly and need drivers and controllers with a high degree of flexibility.
- Digital & Analog InterfacesDigital & Analog Interfaces
- EtherCAT Connectivity of PI ProductsEtherCAT Connectivity of PI Products
- Control of Piezo ActuatorsPiezo Controllers & Drivers for Nanopositioning Systems
- Digital Motion ControllersDigital Motion Controllers
- Active AlignmentActive Alignment
- Digital & Analog Interfaces
- Guiding Systems & Force TransmissionGuiding Systems & Force TransmissionFlexure joints, mechanical guide components or magnetic bearings? Which kind of guiding system PI uses in its products depends on parameters such as travel range, required precision, load, lifetime, and ambient conditions.
- Classical Guiding SystemsComparison: Classical Guiding Systems and Force Transmission
- Flexure Guiding SystemsFlexure Guiding Systems for Nanopositioning & Piezo Actuators
- Magnetic BearingsMagnetic Levitation & Precision Bearings for NanopositioningMagnetic levitation allows excellent guiding accuracy in a plane, both linear and rotational.
- PIglide Air Bearing TechnologyPIglide Air Bearing TechnologyMulti-axis motion with nanometer precision and without friction.
- Classical Guiding Systems
- VacuumPositioning in High Vacuum (HV) and Ultrahigh Vacuum (UHV)Careful handling, adequate premises: PI does not only have the necessary equipment for the qualification of materials, components and final products, but also has many years of experience with regard to HV und UHV positioning systems.
- GlossaryPI Glossary for Technical TermsFind useful explanations of technical terms in the PI Glossary.
- News & EventsNews & Events
- News & PressNews & AnnouncementsLatest news on PI: Browse our news archive.
- Trade Fairs & EventsTrade Fairs & Events
- PI Youtube ChannelSubscribe to our Youtube ChannelFind videos about our products, technologies and applications.
- PI LinkedIn ProfileFollow our LinkedIn ProfileGet weekly updates about our products and technologies.
- About PIAbout PIPI stands for technical excellence and continuous advance in precision positioning – driven by the passion for technology and its use in customer applications. The target of the PI Group is to develop this market and technological leadership even further and therefore secure a decisive competitive advantage for its customers.
- Technology CenterTechnology CenterThe technology center provides space not only for offices but also for application labs, metrology labs, and cleanrooms for vacuum or cryogenic chambers.
- Fractal Manufacturing Structure at PIFractal Manufacturing Structure at PIPI manufactures in autonomous organization fractals. Each unit is responsible for its own product line, has all the necessary skills and production equipment.
- MetrologyMetrologyPI qualifies its products with external measuring equipment. These are calibrated in part and traceable to a national standard. Using the PIOne incremental encoder and capacitive sensors, PI manufactures own metrology for inclusion in PI products.
- Manufacturing in Cleanrooms at PIManufacturing in Cleanrooms at PIPI has the capability to manufacture and qualify products under cleanroom conditions, which is extended and improved continually according to market needs.
- Heavy Load HallHeavy Duty Hall for Positioning Systems Weighing Several TonsThe product range from a two-ton hexapod to a ten-gram nanopositioner requires that PI can both manufacture and qualify these systems. For this reason, PI operates a heavy duty hall at its location in Karlsruhe for the assembly and measurement of masses up to five tons.
- Certified QualityCertified QualityPI aims to apply the same high quality, safety and environmental protection standards worldwide. The Integrated Management System reflects this commitment.
- The PI GroupThe PI GroupPI stands for technical excellence and continuous advance in precision positioning – driven by the passion for technology and its use in customer applications.
- About PI miCosPI miCos GmbH, GermanyAs a member of the PI Group, PI miCos makes a strong contribution in the field engineered systems and is the center of expertise for positioning systems with magnetic drives.
- About PI InnovationAbout PI InnovationTo be able to promote both the opportunity for innovative work and the implementation of the ideas at PI, the PI Innovation GmbH was founded as an "external staff unit" for innovation.
- About ACS Motion ControlAbout ACS Motion ControlACS Motion Control is an OEM-focused supplier of motion controller and drive solutions for high-tech systems in fields such as semiconductor manufacturing, laser processing, additive manufacturing, flat panel display manufacturing, electronic assembly, life sciences, and more. Headquartered in Israel, ACS has technical sales and support offices in the USA, Germany, China, and South Korea. ACS joined the PI Group in January 2017, when PI became a majority shareholder of ACS Motion Control.
- PI WorldwidePI WorldwideThe PI Group represented by subsidiaries and dealers all over the world. Check here to find your local contact!
- How to Get to PI!How to Get to PI!
- Jobs at PIJobs at PI
- Experienced and Young ProfessionalsExperienced and Young ProfessionalsPI offers interesting positions for graduates, young and experienced professionals. You can expect a good working environment as well as personal and professional advancement!
- StudentsStudentsPI offers interesting activities to also give students insights into a professional career. You can gain practical experience during your studies.
- Training, Dual Curriculum Education, and InternshipsTraining, Dual Curriculum Education, and InternshipsSkilled employees are a crucial asset – which explains why we have been training specialists in technical and commercial professions for many years now. At two locations in Germany, PI offers apprenticeship positions as well as a dual study program for applicants who have acquired a secondary school leaving certificate or a qualification for entrance to a technical college or to university.
- About PI as an EmployerAbout PI as an EmployerGet more information about PI's social services and the application process!
- Candidate LoginCandidate LoginLog into your account to get information on the status of your application.
- PI BlogPI BlogFind news on products, technologies and applications, and information on trade fairs and other events.
- PI StorePI StoreQuick and easy: Order PI’s stages, controllers, and matching accessories for your project in our online shop. The PI Store offers over 300 selected standard products from PI and PI Ceramic for direct purchase online.
- 0Quote list
Noncontact, Direct Position Measurement with Subnanometer Accuracy
- Absolute measurement of distance, motion, and vibration
- Measuring ranges from a few 10 µm to 2 mm feasible
- Direct metrology: Direct position measurement of moving objects
- Only minimum heating, no scattered light
- Vacuum compatible to 10-9 hPa
- Maintenance-free, no wear
- High bandwidth up to 10 kHz
- High temperature and long-term stability (<0.1 nm/3 h)
- Invar options for maximum temperature stability (5 × 10-6/K)
- Compact one- and two-electrode sensors, customized designs
- Processing electronics in various configuration levels, from analog original equipment manufacturer (OEM) versions to a modular designed digital controller system that can be expanded at any time
Homogenous Electrical Field Ensures High Linearity
The PI arrangement with an additional guard ring electrode generates a very homogenous field in the active area.
In addition, all electronics from PI use integrated linearization methods that correct parallelity errors between the sensor plates. Depending on the material used, capacitive sensors provide excellent long-term stability that is largely independent of thermal influences.
Signal Processing with Linearization
The processing and measurement electronics only demonstrate minimal noise and employ a linearization system (ILS), that compensates for the influences of parallelity errors between the capacitor plates.
Digital controllers offer the highest accuracy through additional linearization algorithms with higher-order polynomials.
All systems are calibrated at PI and optimized for the intended bandwidth and the measuring range. PI offers signal condition electronics for capacitive sensors in various configuration levels, from analog OEM versions to a modular digital controller system that can be expanded at any time.
Indirect Position Measurement with Strain Gauge Sensors (SGS)
Strain gauge sensors consist of a thin metal or semiconductor foil (piezo resistant), which is attached to the piezo ceramics or, for improved precision, to the guiding system of a flexure stage. This type of position measurement is done with contact and indirectly, since the position of the moving platform is derived from a measurement on the lever, guide or piezo stack. Strain gauge sensors derive the position information from their expansion. Full-bridge circuits with several strain gauge sensors per axis improve thermal stability.
PISeca: Capacitive Single Electrode Sensors
PISeca: Capacitive Single Electrode Sensors
PISeca single-electrode capacitive sensors measure against all kinds of conductive surfaces and are easier to handle mechanically, for example, during installation or cable routing. Their employment is also more versatile, e.g., for detecting motions perpendicular to the direction of measurement.
The E-852 stand-alone processing electronics for PISeca only shows minimum noise and integrates a linearization system. All systems are calibrated at PI and optimized for the intended bandwidth and the measuring range.
>> PISeca Sensors and the corresponding processing electronics are offered as a product by PI.
Measurement of Vibration, Flatness, Thickness
The high dynamics of the PISeca system also allows measurement with excellent resolution of vibrations and oscillations. The evenness of a rotating workpiece or differences in thickness in the nanometer range can thus also be detected. For example, one possible field of application is the production of disk drives or the active compensation of vibration.
Measuring Distances with Nanometer Accuracy
Capacitive sensors reliably measure shortest distances. The quantity to be measured is the change of capacitance between the surface of the sensor head and the target surface using a homogenous electric field. The achieved accuracy lies the subnanometer range. Absolute values are determined with a well-adjusted, calibrated system.
Parallel Metrology / High-Precision Multi-Axis Measurements
For closed-loop, multi-axis nanopositioning tasks, high-performance stages with capacitive sensors combine direct metrology and paralles kinematics. When used in multi-axis nanopositioning systems, this allows measuring all degrees of freedom at the same time and actively compensating guiding errors (Active Trajectory Control concept). Here, capacitive sensors are the most precise measuring systems to give the best position resolution results.
Force Sensors with Micronewton Sensitivity
Capacitive single plate sensors are often used as high-resolution force sensors for contact-free measurement in the micronewton range. Here, minimal deviations in distance are measured contact-free over longer distances are resolutions in the subnanometer range without affecting the process to be measured. The defined stiffness of the system enables calculation of the force.
Nanopositioning / Closed Loop Systems
Nanopositioning is one application of the high-resolution displacement measurement. Here, capacitive two-plate sensors measure the direct distance and actual position of the moved object with the utmost precision. The high sensor bandwidth also allows closed-loop control in dynamic applications.
Measuring Straightness and Flatness, and Active Cross Talk Compensation
One possible application for it is the cross talk measurement in nanopositioning. This allows detecting undesired cross talking of the motion to another axis and active compensation in real time. The high sensor bandwidth provides excellent dynamic performance.